Saturday, March 12, 2016

Dating in Korea

Dating in Korea as a foreigner is not what you think. I've been in Korea for less than a month now, and many of my American friends have tried to convince me to date a Korean girl. They make is sound so easy, which is funny because they're not here, so they couldn't know. I'll tell you what I know. Here are the two main reasons why dating in Korea as an American is harder than dating in America.

1. The Language Barrier. I've known people to get over this barrier, but it's not a compromise everybody is capable of making. Some people might be fine with speaking broken English for the rest of their lives, but I'm not. Although, it does seem preferable to becoming bilingual as an adult. I suppose if I were truly in love, that would be a small price to pay.

2. Citizenship. Possibly the biggest question to consider here is: If you marry someone of a different nationality, do they become a citizen of your country, or do you become a citizen of yours?
If I were living in a poor country, perhaps a woman would want to marry me and become an American. But that's not the case here. I actually moved here from America to have a better life. Also, Koreans do not want to live anywhere else permanently. I have met Americans and Canadians who have married Koreans and plan to live the rest of their lives in Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment